The filling for these pockets also makes a delightful main-course salad or side dish with grilled chicken or salmon. Leftover salad is delicious on top of greens or on an antipasto plate.
- Portion size 4 servings
- 1 jar (6 oz/170 ml) marinated artichoke heart
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 pocket-style pita breads
- 4 lettuce leaves
Reserving 2 tbsp (25 mL) liquid, drain artichoke hearts; thinly slice and set aside.
In large bowl, whisk together reserved artichoke liquid, parsley, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Add artichoke hearts, chickpeas, tomatoes and Parmesan cheese; toss to combine.
Cut one-third off each pita bread; open and place inverted piece in bottom. Line with lettuce; spoon in chickpea mixture.
Nutritional facts <b>PER SERVING:</b> about
- Sodium 1026 mg
- Protein 23 g
- Calories 591.0
- Total fat 19 g
- Cholesterol 5 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 85 g
- Iron 34.0
- Folate 84.0
- Calcium 19.0
- Vitamin A 9.0
- Vitamin C 42.0