Served hot with grated old cheddar cheese over top.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Joe Robinsmith
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 links Italian sausages
- 1 can dark red kidney bean drained and rinsed
- 1 can chick peas drained and rinsed
- 1 can baked beans in tomato sauce
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 375 ml bottle salsa
- 1 700 ml jar pasta sauce with mushrooms
- 1/4 cup Hickory-smoked barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 5 mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen kernel corn
MethodCut bacon strips into three equal pieces and fry in dutch oven over medium heat. Remove bacon, but leave bacon grease in pot.
Add diced onion to pot and saute until transparent. Remove, then add lean ground beef and Italian sausage.
Fry until browned. Add bacon and onions back in.
Add chick peas, kidney beans, and baked beans. Stir. Add all other ingredients except wine and fresh mushrooms.
Cook on low heat for 8 hours, stirring occassionally. This can be done in a slow cooker on low setting.
After 8 hours, add wine and mushrooms and cook on medium heat for one more hour.