Peeling the zucchini makes this soup a pretty pale green, but you could leave the skin on for more nutrients if you don't mind the dark green specks.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : August 2009
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots thinly sliced
- 4 zucchinis peeled and cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
MethodIn large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté shallots until softened, about 2 minutes.
Add zucchini, lemon rind, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until zucchini is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add broth and 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) water; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until zucchini is tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly. Add dill.
In blender, purée soup until smooth. Strain into large bowl. Let cool in refrigerator. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Whisk in buttermilk. Makes 4 to 6 servings.