Smoky and with a zing of heat, this big-batch salsa brightens up any kind of dish all year round.
- Portion size 500 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2008
- 8 oz jalapeno peppers
- 1 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 16 cups coarsley chopped peeled tomatoes about 7 lb/3.15 kg
- 6 cups chopped seeded Cubanelle peppers Anaheim or sweet banana_peppers (about 1-3/4 lb/875 g)
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 4 cups chopped sweet green peppers about 2 lb/1 kg
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 8 cloves garlic mincedÂ Â Â
- 2 cans tomato paste
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3/4 cups chopped fresh coriander
MethodWearing rubber gloves, seed, core and finely chop jalapeno peppers to make 1 cup (250 mL).
Reserving sauce, remove chipotle peppers; seed if desired and chop.
In large heavy nonaluminum stock pot, combine jalapeno peppers, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, tomatoes, Cubanelle peppers, onions, green peppers, vinegar, garlic, tomato paste, sugar, salt and oregano; bring to boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 2 to 2-1/4 hours.
Add coriander; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
Fill hot 2-cup (500 mL) canning jars, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) headspace. Cover with prepared lids. Screw on bands until resistance is met; increase to fingertip tight. Boil in boiling water canner for 20 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per 1 tbsp (15 mL) : about
- Sodium 55 mg
- Protein trace
- Calories 8.0
- Total fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Total carbohydrate 2 g
- Iron 1.0
- Folate 1.0
- Vitamin A 2.0
- Vitamin C 10.0