- Portion size 6 servings
- 8 oz chorizo sausage thinly sliced
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 egg
- 1 can corn kernels drained (or 1-1/2 cups/ 375 mL fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded old Cheddar cheese (6 oz/175 g)
- 6 green onion sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
In skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until golden.
Meanwhile, in bowl, beat together cream cheese, cornmeal and sugar until smooth.
Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating until smooth after each addition. Stir in corn, 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese, onions, jalapeno pepper, oregano, salt and pepper.
Pour half of the egg mixture into greased 8-cup (2 L) casserole. Cover with three-quarters of the sausage. Pour remaining egg mixture over top. Sprinkle with remaining sausage and cheese.
Bake in oven for about 30 minutes or until light golden and set. Let cool for 5 minutes.