- Portion size 6 servings
- 2 lbs large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 3/4 cups hot strong coffee
- 2 ancho chilies seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup toasted blanched almond
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 can tomato
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch aniseed
- 1 oz semisweet chocolate chopped
In large bowl, toss together shrimp, coriander, oil and hot pepper flakes. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.
Mole Sauce: In bowl, combine coffee and chilies; let soak until softened, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
In food processor, process almonds until coarsely ground. Add raisins and sesame seeds; pulse until coarsely ground. Add tomatoes, vinegar, oregano, cinnamon, coriander, pepper, cloves, aniseed, onion mixture and softened chilies and soaking liquid; process until coarsely puréed.
Return mixture to skillet; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in chocolate until melted. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring often.
Meanwhile, place shrimp on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook until pink, about 3 minutes per side. Serve with mole sauce.