Thick slices of cucumber cup this Thai-inspired crab salad. For a spicier filling, add a few dashes of hot pepper sauce.
- Portion size 24 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2006
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 fresh coriander leaves
- 1 pkg (7 oz/200 g) frozen crabmeat thawed
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped hot pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
MethodUsing vegetable peeler, peel off strips of cucumber skin lengthwise to create stripes; cut crosswise into 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick slices. Using teaspoon, scoop about 1 tsp (5 mL) pulp from centre of each slice, leaving base intact. Sprinkle slices with salt ; invert onto paper towel–lined tray and let drain for 30 minutes.
CrabSalad: In sieve, pick through crabmeat to remove any cartilage; press to remove liquid. Set aside.
In bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lime juice, hot pepper and sugar. Add crabmeat, red pepper, green onion, coriander and mint; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Spoon filling into cucumber hollows; garnish each with coriander leaf.
Nutritional facts Per piece: about
- Sodium 124 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 22.0
- Total fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 7 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 1 g
- Iron 3.0
- Folate 4.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 13.0