This Scandinavian-style salad is easy to prepare and full of lively accents. Salting and draining the cucumber is essential to prevent a watery salad.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: March 2007
- 3 cups thinly sliced peeled English cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup regular sour cream
- 1/4 cup regular light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp/5mL dried dillweed)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
MethodIn colander, sprinkle cucumber with salt ; let stand to drain for 30 minutes. Pat dry.
Meanwhile, soak onion in cold water for 15 minutes; drain and pat dry.
In bowl, whisk together sour cream, dill, vinegar and sugar. Add cucumber and onion; toss to coat.
Tip from The Test Kitchen: You can also use a regular field cucumber to make the salad. Once you've peeled it, slice the cucumber in half lengthwise. Run a small spoon down the centre to scoop out the tough seeds, and then slice the cucumber.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 302 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 38.0
- Total fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 2 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 6 g
- Iron 1.0
- Folate 7.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 7.0