(Kyuri Shiso Tsukemono)
Shiso adds a great kick of flavour to crunchy pickles. If you can't find it, the pickles are also fine without it.
- Portion size 1 serving
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2009
- 2 lbs small kirby cucumbers (3-1/2 inches/9 cm long)
- 2 lbs small pickling cucumbers (3-1/2 inches/9 cm long)
- 1 finger chili thinly sliced
- 3 shiso leaves thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 piece (2 inches/5 cm) dried kombu rinsed
MethodWith vegetable peeler, peel off strips of cucumber skin lengthwise to create stripes. Cut into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick rounds, discarding ends; place in bowl.Add finger chili, shiso leaves (if using), salt and sugar.
With scissors, cut kombu into matchsticks. Add to bowl, mixing well.
Place plate onto mixture; weigh down with heavy can. Refrigerate until crunchy and pickled, at least 5 hours or for up to 2 days. Drain.
Nutritional facts Per 1/4 cup (50 mL) : about
- Sodium 353 mg
- Protein trace
- Calories 10.0
- Total fat trace
- Potassium 78 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Total carbohydrate 2 g
- Iron 1.0
- Folate 3.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 3.0