This kimchi is the most popular and widely consumed in Korean households and is synonymous with Korean cuisine.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2011
- 1 napa cabbage (5 lb/2.2 kg)
- 1 cup Korean fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet rice powder
- 1/3 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 5 red finger hot peppers chopped
- 5 Thai chili peppers chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced Korean radishes
- 1 cup thinly sliced daikon radish
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Korean fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup Korean coarse red pepper powder
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 5 green onions halved lengthwise and cut in 1-inch pieces
MethodPeel leaves off cabbage. Cut leaves in half lengthwise; cut into 1-1/4-inch (3 cm) squares. Spread one-eighth of the cabbage in large wide bowl; sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the salt and 3 tbsp water. Repeat layers 7 times.
Cover and let stand, turning every 30 minutes, until wilted and toughest leaf is consistency of dill pickle, about 2 hours. Drain.
Fill same bowl with cold water; rinse cabbage twice. Drain in large colander for 30 minutes; return to bowl.
Spice Mixture: Meanwhile, in small saucepan, bring rice powder with 3/4 cup water to boil over high heat; boil, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Transfer to small bowl; let cool.
In food processor, process together garlic, ginger, red finger hot peppers, Thai chili peppers, radishes, onion, sugar and salt until smooth, about 30 seconds.
Stir into rice powder mixture along with red pepper powder, fish sauce and green onions. Pour over cabbage. Wearing rubber gloves, mix thoroughly.
Transfer to large airtight jar, pressing firmly to leave 2-inch (5 cm) headspace. Seal and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 month.
Nutritional facts Per 1/4 cup: about
- Sodium 361 mg
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 14.0
- Total fat trace
- Potassium 142 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Total carbohydrate 3 g
- Iron 2.0
- Folate 17.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 27.0