Store-bought whole wheat pitas make quick and easy pizza crusts, perfect for time-pressed weeknight meals. If your kids don't like spinach, top the pizzas with diced sweet red pepper or their favourite veggies.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2014
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups packed baby spinach
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup bottled strained tomatoes (passata)
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated or pressed
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- pinch pepper
- 4 whole wheat pita pockets (6 inches/15 cm)
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 125 g buffalo mozzarella cheese torn in bite-size pieces and patted dry
MethodIn nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook spinach with salt, stirring, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Squeeze excess liquid from spinach; coarsely chop and set aside.
In bowl, combine strained tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper.
Arrange pitas on 2 baking sheets. Spread tomato mixture over top of pitas, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border uncovered. Top with spinach, shredded mozzarella cheese and buffalo mozzarella cheese. Bake in 425F (220C) oven until cheese is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 5 g
- Sodium 639 mg
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 18 g
- Calories 356.0
- Total fat 16 g
- Potassium 325 mg
- Cholesterol 38 mg
- Saturated fat 8 g
- Total carbohydrate 38 g
- Iron 42.0
- Folate 28.0
- Calcium 22.0
- Vitamin A 38.0
- Vitamin C 10.0