This appetizer is a cinch to pull together and is best made a day or two ahead. Use a creamy sheep and/or goat's milk feta for best flavour and spreadability. Serve with pita wedges.
- Portion size 10 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2007
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or thyme
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 3 cups cubed (1/2 inch/1 cm) feta cheese
MethodIn small dry skillet, toast fennel and coriander seeds over medium heat, swirling pan, until fragrant, about 3 minutes; transfer to large glass jar or bowl.
Add oil, rosemary, lemon rind, lemon juice and hot pepper flakes to seeds; seal and shake or stir to combine.
Add feta; seal or cover with plastic wrap. Gently turn jar over once or twice or stir to combine. Refrigerate for 12 hours, turning jar or stirring occasionally. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 5 days.)
Let come to room temperature to serve.
Nutritional facts Per appetizer without oil : about
- Sodium 447 mg
- Protein 6 g
- Calories 111.0
- Total fat 9 g
- Cholesterol 37 mg
- Saturated fat 6 g
- Total carbohydrate 2 g
- Iron 2.0
- Folate 6.0
- Calcium 18.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 2.0