This rich, dark beef stew, chock-full of root vegetables and peas, is comfort food at its finest and perfect for a blustery night.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living New Slow Cooker Classics
- 1 1/2 lb Yukon Gold potato peeled and cubed
- 1 lb carrots peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb parsnips peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 lbs stewing beef cubes
- 4 strips thick-sliced bacon chopped
- 1 1/2 cup Stout beer
- 3/4 cups sodium-reduced beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup frozen peas
MethodIn slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Top with beef and bacon.
Whisk together stout, beef broth, 1/2 cup water and Worcestershire sauce; pour over beef.
Cover and cook on low until beef and vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 hours. Discard bay leaves.
Whisk flour with 1/3 cup water until smooth; whisk into slow cooker. Stir in peas; cook, covered, on high until thickened, about 30 minutes.
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 547 mg
- Protein 39 g
- Calories 528.0
- Total fat 25 g
- Potassium 1119 mg
- Cholesterol 110 mg
- Saturated fat 11 g
- Total carbohydrate 36 g
- Iron 35.0
- Folate 34.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 78.0
- Vitamin C 27.0