This pasta sauce combines sweet and mellow caramelized onions with creamy goat cheese for a distinctively delicious dish.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2003
- 6 bacon (about 6 oz/175 g) chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 onions (about 3 lbs/1.5 kg) sliced
- 3/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 lb fettuccine
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 pkg (4 oz/125 g) soft goat cheese
In nonstick skillet, fry bacon over medium-high heat until crisp, about 5 minutes; transfer to paper towel-lined plate. Drain fat from pan.
Add oil to pan; heat over medium heat. Cook onions, salt and pepper until softened and golden, about 15 minutes. Stir in half of the parsley; cook for 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the cooking liquid, drain and return to pot.
Add vinegar, goat cheese, bacon, reserved cooking liquid and onion mixture to pasta; toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with remaining parsley.
Nutritional facts <b>Per each of 6 servings:</b> about
- Sodium 713 mg
- Protein 19 g
- Calories 495.0
- Total fat 12 g
- Cholesterol 16 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 78 g
- Iron 21.0
- Folate 65.0
- Calcium 8.0
- Vitamin A 8.0
- Vitamin C 26.0