My fettuccine is a flavourful dish packed with healthy ingredients, and is a perfect vegetarian entree. The dish will be served hot, all except for the goat cheese that will be added at the end, only to allow it to slowly melt on top. I have been a vegetarian for about 6 years now, and I have never felt better. I love to research various local farmers in the Niagara Region, and buy fresh ingredients. I decided on this dish by researching in-season produce for November when the contest will published in the Canadian Living Magazine. Mushrooms came up, and kale is such a healthy green that along with the pine nuts and goat cheese, this entree is packed with protein and fiber.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Natalee Towsley
MethodPreheat oven to 350 degrees F.
1) For the pesto sauce: In a food processor, blend 3 of the garlic cloves, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, and fresh basil. Then add about 3 tbsp of the olive oil. Blend until achieving a smooth consistency.
2) In a pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook kale until bright green, or tender. After about 5 minutes, strain the kale, and place in a ice bath to cool and to stop further cooking.
3) Place fettuccine into a pot of salted boiling water, and cook until al dente. (For more of an herbal flavour, additional herbs may be added to the boiling noodle water).
4) In the meantime, heat a pot or pan, and place the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil, sliced mushrooms, and diced onion. Cook until onions become transparent (for about 10 minutes).
5) Add the pesto sauce, and cook with the onions and mushrooms for a couple of minutes. Then add 1 cup of the vegetable broth (if this 1 cup is not enough liquid, then you could gradually add up to another cup).
6) Place pine nuts on a piece of parchment paper, then on a metal tray. Place in oven for about 5 minutes or until slightly golden (Be careful - they burn very quickly!)
7) Reduce liquid by about half. Then add the fettucine pasta and kale to the sauteed onions, mushrooms and pesto sauce.
8) Finish the fettuccine with toasted pine nuts, crumbled goat cheese, and chopped parsley (fresh cracked pepper optional).