Practically any kind of firm-fleshed fish, such as tilapia, goes well with this mildly tangy, brightly flavoured sauce.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2012
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 lbs fish fillets
- 1/3 cup peanut oil
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sodium-reduced vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sake
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dry sherry
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 Cubanelle pepper (or half sweet green pepper), julienned
- 1 red hot pepper seeded and julienned
- 1 tomato peeled, seeded and julienned
- 4 green onions julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- cilantro sprigs (optional)
MethodIn bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, pepper and salt; add fillets, 1 at a time, and turn to coat, pressing to adhere.
In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry fish, turning once, until golden and fish flakes easily when tested, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to serving plate; keep warm.
Sweet-and-Sour Sauce: In bowl, whisk cornstarch with some of the broth to form paste. Stir in remaining broth, rice vinegar, rice wine, sugar, black vinegar and soy sauce until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
Discard all but 1-1/2 tbsp of the oil from pan; heat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry garlic and ginger until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Stir in Cubanelle pepper, hot pepper and tomato; cook until tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add onions; stir-fry until wilted, about 30 seconds. Stir broth mixture and add to pan; boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat. Stir in sesame oil; spoon over fish. Garnish with cilantro (if using).
Nutritional facts Per each of 8 servings: about
- Sodium 286 mg
- Protein 24 g
- Calories 232.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Potassium 432 mg
- Cholesterol 57 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 9 g
- Iron 7.0
- Folate 16.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 16.0