- Portion size 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaf
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup sliced leek white and light green parts only
- 3/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind finely grated
In saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onions, celery, shallots, garlic, thyme, marjoram, salt and pepper until completely softened and just beginning to turn golden, about 10 minutes.
Transfer half of the mixture to blender or food processor; purée until smooth.
Return to pan. Add stock, leeks, wine and bay leaf; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until leeks are tender-crisp, about 10 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Stir in vinegar. Ladle into warmed soup bowls.
Topping: Mix together chives, garlic and lemon rind. Sprinkle in mound in centre of each bowl.