- Portion size 32 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2010
- 1 pizza dough (1-1/2 lb/750 g)
- 16 Genoa salami (2-1/2 oz/75 g), cut into quarters
- 16 salami (2-1/2 oz/75 g), cut into quarters
- 2 roasted red peppers cut into thirty-two 1-inch (2.5 cm) squares
- 10 oz fontina cheese cut into thirty-two 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes
- 10 oz mild semi-soft cheese cut into thirty-two 3/4-inch (2 cm) cubes
- olive oil for frying
- vegetabIe oil for frying
MethodDivide dough into 4 pieces; shape each into ball. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
Roll each ball into rope; cut each into 8 equal pieces. Roll each piece into ball. With fingers, flatten each ball to about 2-inch (5 cm) circle; place 2 pieces salami, 1 square pepper and 1 cube cheese in centre. Fold dough over filling to make half-moon shape; pinch edge together. Roll and crimp edge to seal.
In deep heavy-bottomed saucepan or deep-fryer, add enough oil to come 1-1/2 inches (4 cm) up side; heat over medium heat until oil registers 335°F (170°C) on deep-fry thermometer.
Fry panzerotti, in batches, turning to brown all over, until evenly golden, 4 to 5 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels. Serve hot.