This crisp savoury salad gets tossed with dressing and topped with crunchy croutons just before serving, so nothing gets soggy. For easy assembly, grill the chicken the night before, or use rotisserie chicken.
- Portion size 2 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: September 2013
- 1 1/2 cup cubed multi-grain bread
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 navel orange
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup black olive pitted and chopped
- 225 g boneless skinless chicken breasts grilled and sliced
MethodOn baking sheet, toss bread with 2 tsp of the oil. Bake in 375 F (190 C) oven,turning once, until golden and crisp, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut top and bottom off orange; slice away peel and white pith. Working over bowl, cut between fruit and membranes to release segments into bowl; set aside. Squeeze 2 tbsp juice from remaining membranes into separate small bowl; whisk in remaining oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 5 days.
In two 4-cup (1 L) airtight containers,layer lettuce, onion, olives, reserved orange segments and chicken.
Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
To serve, add dressing and croutons; cover and shake to coat.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 6 g
- Sodium 314 mg
- Sugars 11 g
- Protein 31 g
- Calories 444.0
- Total fat 25 g
- Potassium 736 mg
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Saturated fat 4 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 19.0
- Folate 66.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 64.0
- Vitamin C 112.0