This Vietnamese favourite is easy to make and is just as suitable for a main course as it is for an appetizer. Look for rice paper wrappers in the Asian section of the grocery store.?
- Portion size 24 servings
- 4 oz (115 g) rice stick vermicelli
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 12 rice paper wrapper
- 36 large shrimp
- 3 cups thinly sliced leaf lettuce
- 1/2 sweet red pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 sweet yellow pepper thinly sliced
- 1 piece (4 inches/10 cm) English cucumber cut in thin strips
- 1/2 mango peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Spicy Almond Dipping Sauce:
- 1/4 cup crunchy natural almond butter
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sodium-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
MethodSpicy Almond Dipping Sauce: In small bowl, stir together almond butter, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sriracha and 3 tbsp water. Set aside.
Break vermicelli into thirds and place in bowl; pour boiling water over top and soak until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and toss with sesame oil; let cool.
Fill shallow bowl with warm water. Soak 1 rice paper wrapper in water until softened and pliable, about 30 seconds. Spread wrappers on clean towel.
Along bottom third of wrapper, place 3 shrimp. Top with scant 1/4 cup vermicelli, 1/4 cup lettuce and a few pieces each red pepper, yellow pepper, cucumber and mango. Top with 2 or 3 leaves each mint and cilantro.
From filled side, roll wrapper over filling. Fold sides over and tightly roll up. Place, seam side down, on tray; cover with damp towel. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 12 rolls.
To serve, cut diagonally in half. Serve with dipping sauce.
Nutritional facts Per Piece: about
- Sodium 176 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 76.0
- Total fat 2 g
- Potassium 93 mg
- Cholesterol 16 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 11 g
- Iron 7.0
- Fibre 0.0
- Folate 5.0
- Sodium 0.0
- Sugars 0.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Protein 0.0
- Calories 0.0
- Total fat 0.0
- Vitamin A 7.0
- Vitamin C 20.0
- Potassium 0.0
- Cholesterol 0.0
- Saturated fat 0.0
- Total carbohydrate 0.0