- Portion size 4 servings
- 4 oz goat cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaf
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3/4 cups coarse yellow cornmeal
- 4 green tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 350°F (160°C)
In bowl and using wooden spoon, beat together goat cheese, onions, parsley, basil, thyme, lemon rind and 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) each of the salt and pepper. Place flour in shallow bowl; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon (1 mL) salt and remaining pepper. Place eggs in another bowl and cornmeal in a third; set aside.
Slice tomatoes into sixteen 1/4 inch (5 mm) thick slices. Pat with paper towel to dry. Sprinkle with remaining salt.
Spread heaping tablespoonful (15 mL) goat cheese mixture evenly over half of the tomato slices; sandwich with remaining slices.
Keeping "sandwiches" intact, carefully coat both sides of sandwich in flour, tapping off excess. Dip in egg then coat both sides in cornmeal.
In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons (25 mL) of the oil over medium heat. Cook 4 of the sandwiches, turning once and adding more oil as necessary, for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and tomatoes are fork-tender. Repeat with remaining sandwiches, keeping cooked sandwiches warm in 350°F (160°C) oven.