Saut?arlic scapes with red onion for a sweet, mellow addition to a classic salad.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2004
- 10 new red potatoes (2-1/2 lb/1.25 kg), scrubbed and cubed
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped garlic scapes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2/3 cups buttermilk (approx)
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoons each salt and pepper
In saucepan of boiling salted water, cover and cook potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in large bowl. Add celery.
Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry garlic scapes and onion, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened and scapes are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Add to potatoes.
Dressing: In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the dill, mustard, salt and pepper; pour over potato mixture and toss to coat. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.) Add more buttermilk for moister salad, if desired. Garnish with remaining dill.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 895 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 213.0
- Total fat 6 g
- Cholesterol 4 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 37 g
- Iron 14.0
- Folate 15.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 40.0