Always check packaged food labels for gluten, including ketchup (Heinz is gluten-free), sriracha, fish sauce and broth (homemade stock is best – and safest). It's best to steer clear of dry-roasted peanuts for the same reason. To toast nuts, toast in dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan often, until fragrant and golden, about 4 minutes.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2011
- 1/2 pkg (454 g pkg) wide rice stick noodles (about 1/4-inch/5 mm wide)
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Asian chili sauce (such as sriracha)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 225 g frozen large shrimp thawed, peeled and deveined
- 280 g boneless skinless chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 4 shallots or 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 sweet red pepper thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 170 g medium-firm tofu drained and cubed
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 3 green onions sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted peanut roasted
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
MethodIn large bowl, soak noodles in warm water for 15 minutes; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in small bowl, whisk together ketchup, broth, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar and chili sauce; set aside.
In wok or large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high heat; cook eggs, stirring occasionally, until scrambled and set, about 30 seconds. Transfer to separate bowl.
Wipe out wok. Add 1 tbsp of the remaining oil and heat over high heat; stir-fry shrimp until pink, about 1 minute. Transfer to plate.
Add 1 tsbp of the remaining oil to wok; heat over high heat. Stir-fry chicken until browned and no longer pink inside, about 1 minute. Add to shrimp.
Heat remaining oil in wok over high heat. Cook shallots, garlic, red pepper and ginger until softened, about 2 minutes.
Stir in ketchup mixture and noodles. Return shrimp mixture to pan; cook, stirring to coat, until noodles are tender, about 3 minutes.
Return scrambled eggs to pan along with tofu, bean sprouts and green onions; heat through just until sprouts begin to wilt, about 1 minute. Serve garnished with peanuts, cilantro and lime wedges.
Nutritional facts per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 1241 mg
- Protein 28 g
- Calories 453.0
- Total fat 17 g
- Potassium 555 mg
- Cholesterol 133 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 47 g
- Iron 20.0
- Folate 31.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 16.0
- Vitamin C 73.0