This refreshing hot-weather soup is popular across Portugal and Spain, where tomatoes and peppers are abundant. It's important to give this soup the full 24 hours of rest in the fridge to mellow the onion and garlic. The soup will separate, but a gentle stir brings it back together.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2014
- 450 g yellow cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 sweet yellow pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled cucumber
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- quarter avocado
MethodIn blender, coarsely purée tomatoes. Add yellow pepper, onion, cucumber and garlic; purée until smooth. Using spatula, press through fine-mesh sieve into bowl, occasionally scraping purée from underside of sieve with spoon.
Stir in cilantro, lemon juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Refrigerate in airtight container for 24 hours.
Divide among 8 small glasses. Peel and thinly slice avocado lengthwise; add to glasses as garnish.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 1 g
- Sodium 94 mg
- Sugars 2 g
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 29.0
- Total fat 1 g
- Potassium 243 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 5 g
- Iron 4.0
- Folate 13.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 1.0
- Vitamin C 58.0