This unusual combination of crunchy-fresh beans and hearty barley is a tasty salad that can be made ahead of time – perfect for a picnic.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2009
- 1 lb green bean
- 1 cup pot barley
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups baby arugula leaves
- 2 cups grape tomatoes halved
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2/3 cups crumbled Canadian feta cheese (about 100 g)
MethodTrim beans; halve diagonally. Blanch in saucepan of boiling water until tender- crisp, about 3 minutes. Cool in ice bath; drain and pat dry.
Meanwhile, in pot of boiling salted water, cook barley until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain and let cool for 5 minutes.
In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, garlic, thyme, mustard, salt and pepper; add barley and beans, tossing to coat well.
Add arugula, tomatoes and green onions, tossing well. (Make-ahead: Cover and let stand for up to 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 4 hours.) Stir in cheese.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 254 mg
- Protein 4 g
- Calories 142.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Potassium 231 mg
- Cholesterol 8 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 18 g
- Iron 9.0
- Folate 20.0
- Calcium 9.0
- Vitamin A 10.0
- Vitamin C 17.0