Here's a bright, crisp salad tossed with a sassy dressing that's perfect to serve with grilled beef or pork.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2005
- 4 cups green beans (about 8 oz/250 g), trimmed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced sweet onion such as Vidalia
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- 1 jalapeño pepper (or tsp/5 mL minced pickled jalapeÃ±os)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
In large pot of boiling salted water, cover and cook green beans until tender-crisp, about 3 minutes. Drain and chill in cold water. Drain and pat dry.
Jalapeño Dressing: Wearing rubber gloves, seed and mince jalapeños. In large bowl, whisk together jalapeno oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
Add green beans and onion; toss to coat. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutritional facts <b>Per serving:</b> about
- Sodium 516 mg
- Protein 3 g
- Calories 187.0
- Total fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 10 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 17.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 9.0
- Vitamin C 27.0