Gunpowder tea with spearmint is a popular Moroccan digestive. Gunpowder leaves are rolled into small balls that unfurl in hot water to release a slightly bitter, smoky infusion. This refreshing brew is also good iced. Sweeten with honey, if desired.
- Portion size 30 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Holiday Best 2003
- 4 tangerines or 2 oranges
- 1 piece (4 inches/10 cm) gingerroot
- 2 bunches spearmint stems removed
- 1 cup green tea leaves such as gunpowder
MethodPeel rind from tangerines (remove pith); place on rack. Slice gingerroot into 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick slices; place on rack. Remove leaves from spearmint; place on rack. Let dry at room temperature until brittle, about 24 hours. Break into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
In bowl, mix together tangerine rind, ginger, mint leaves and tea leaves. Spoon into decorative bag or airtight jar. Makes about 30 servings.