- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2010
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 leek (white and light green parts only), diced
- 2 bunches or bags (about 10 oz/284 g each) fresh spinach trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 lb beet greens (about 1 bunch beets or chard), stems removed and coarsely shredded
- 1 lb Swiss chard (about 1 bunch beets or chard), stems removed and coarsely shredded
- 1 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup loosely packed chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
MethodIn large bowl, whisk together flour, salt and baking powder. In separate bowl, whisk together oil, milk and egg; pour over dry ingredients. Using wooden spoon, stir to form fairly smooth dough.
Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Press into disc; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Dough will seem oily when removed from refrigerator.)
Filling: Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion and leek, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to large bowl.
Wash spinach and beet greens in several changes of water; drain. In batches, place spinach and greens in large pot with just the water clinging to leaves; cover and cook over medium-high heat, stirring once, until wilted, 3 minutes. Let cool.
Transfer to sieve; squeeze out moisture. Add to onion mixture along with feta and mozzarella cheeses, eggs, dill, salt and pepper; mix well. Set aside.
On floured surface, roll out dough to 16-inch (40 cm) circle. Loosely roll around rolling pin; unroll onto 9-inch (23 cm) cast-iron skillet or metal baking dish, letting dough hang over edge. Mound filling in centre; lift pastry up over filling, letting pastry fall naturally into folds and leaving 5-inch (12 cm) opening in centre.
Bake in bottom third of 375°F (190°C) oven until pastry is golden and filling is steaming, 45 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate until cold. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Cut into wedges.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 1248 mg
- Protein 15 g
- Calories 387.0
- Total fat 24 g
- Potassium 674 mg
- Cholesterol 106 mg
- Saturated fat 8 g
- Total carbohydrate 31 g
- Iron 35.0
- Folate 82.0
- Calcium 34.0
- Vitamin A 94.0
- Vitamin C 25.0