Traditionally served before an Italian meal, an antipasto platter is a stunning (and easy) way to showcase seasonal vegetables. A quick tomato relish, vaccented with tart vinegar, adds contrast when served over top. This recipe also makes a healthful side dish for grilled poultry and steak.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2014
- 2 eggplants cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds
- 1 bulb fennel cut lengthwise in 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 3 portobello mushrooms trimmed and quartered
- 2 zucchinis cut in 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick rounds
- 1 each sweet green pepper and sweet red pepper, cut in large pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
Fresh Tomato Relish:
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced cornichons or dill pickles
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon drained caper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- pinch each salt pepper and granulated sugar
MethodFresh Tomato Relish: In bowl, mix together tomatoes, onion, parsley, cornichons, oil, vinegar, capers, garlic, oregano, hot pepper flakes, salt, pepper and sugar; set aside.
Sprinkle eggplants and fennel with 1/2 tsp of the salt; let stand for 30 minutes. With palms of hands, press out excess liquid.
In large bowl, toss together mushrooms, zucchini, green pepper, red pepper and remaining salt. Add eggplants, fennel and oil; toss to lightly coat.
Place vegetables on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill, turning once, until tender, about 6 minutes for mushrooms, 10 to 12 minutes for fennel and zucchini, and 14 to 16 minutes for eggplants and peppers.
Arrange on platter; top with some of the relish. Serve remaining relish on the side.
Nutritional facts per serving: about
- Fibre 6 g
- Sodium 319 mg
- Sugars 7 g
- Protein 4 g
- Calories 202.0
- Total fat 14 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 19 g
- Iron 11.0
- Folate 24.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 23.0
- Vitamin C 113.0