The slow cooker makes fabulous stock – effortlessly. When making vegetable stock, avoid broccoli, cauliflower and brussels sprouts because their strong flavours will dominate the stock.
- Portion size 2 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: November 2005
- 2 lbs chicken backs, necks and wing tips
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 celery stalks with leaves chopped
- 1 carrots chopped
- 1 leek chopped (optional)
- 4 oz dried mushrooms (like porcini,shiitake and oyster)optional
- 6 fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon whole peppercorns
MethodPlace chicken in slow cooker. Add onions, celery, carrot, leek and mushrooms (if using), parsley, thyme, bay leaves and peppercorns. Pour in 8 cups (2 L) water. Cover and cook on low for 12 hours.
Discard chicken. Strain stock through cheesecloth-lined sieve into large bowl, pressing vegetables to extract liquid. Refrigerate until fat congeals on surface, about 8 hours. Lift off fat and discard. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.)