Combining cereal and snacks makes for a satisfying bite – even for adults.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2011
- 4 cups woven wheat square cereal (such as Shreddies)
- 3 rice cakes broken in small pieces
- 1 cup pretzel stick
- 1/2 cup each unsalted peanut
- 1/2 cup each pecan pieces
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey
MethodIn bowl, combine cereal, rice cakes, pretzels, peanuts, pecans, brown sugar, garlic powder, chili powder and salt.
In small saucepan, heat together applesauce, butter and honey over medium-low heat until butter is melted, about 2 minutes. Stir into cereal mixture, tossing to coat. Spread on baking sheet.
Bake in 325°F (160°C) oven, stirring occasionally, until wheat squares are deep golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 5 days.) Makes 8 cups.
Nutritional facts Per 1/4 cup: about
- Sodium 77 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 76.0
- Total fat 4 g
- Potassium 58 mg
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 10 g
- Iron 8.0
- Folate 4.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 1.0