This recipe is from our new book, The Barbecue Collection. If you can't find kecap manis, boil together 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar, 1/3 cup (75 mL) soy sauce and 2 tbsp (30 mL) fancy molasses until sugar is dissolved.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: July 2010
- 3 1/2 lbs small pork back ribs
- 3 1/2 lbs small pork side ribs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons ground or finely minced fresh lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh coriander
- 2 teaspoons finely grated gingerroot
- 2 kaffir lime leaves centre vein removed, minced
- 1/4 cup coarsely ground roasted peanuts
Sweet and Spicy Sauce:
- 1/4 cup peanut oil
- 1/4 cup vegetabIe oil
- 1/3 cup sliced shallots
- 5 cloves garlic sliced
- 4 teaspoons minced Thai (bird's-eye) chilies
- 4 teaspoons minced hot peppers
- 1/2 cup sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1/3 cup lime juice
MethodRemove membrane from underside of ribs, if attached.
Mix together garlic, lemongrass, fish sauce, coriander, ginger and lime leaves; rub all over ribs. Cover and marinate at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Sweet and Spicy Sauce: In small saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; fry shallots until golden. With slotted spoon, transfer shallots to paper towel to drain. Add garlic to pan; fry until golden. Transfer to paper towel to drain.
In mortar with pestle, pound chilies until paste. Add shallots and garlic; pound until almost smooth (or finely mince). Transfer to large bowl; mix in sweet soy sauce and lime juice.
Place ribs on greased grill over medium heat; close lid and cook, turning constantly, until meat is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Cut into separate ribs; toss with sauce until coated. Cook, turning a few times, until glazed, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to serving platter; sprinkle with peanuts.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 Servings: about
- Sodium 1410 mg
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 555.0
- Total fat 36 g
- Potassium 577 mg
- Cholesterol 103 mg
- Saturated fat 12 g
- Total carbohydrate 29 g
- Iron 16.0
- Folate 9.0
- Calcium 7.0
- Vitamin A 2.0
- Vitamin C 13.0