This “instant” kimchi does not require fermentation and can be enjoyed immediately or within a few hours of making. Long cabbage or a thin napa cabbage is ideal for the quick salting process.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2011
- 1 head napa cabbage
- 1/4 cup Korean fine sea salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 red hot peppers chopped
- 1 Thai chili pepper chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 4 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoon minced salted shrimp
- 4 green onions
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 3 cups diagonally sliced mini cucumbers
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1/3 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 2 tablespoons Korean coarse red pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Korean fine sea salt
MethodPull off and discard outer green leaves of cabbage; separate remaining leaves from root. Halve leaves lengthwise; cut diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm) wide strips.
In large wide bowl, layer one-quarter of the leaves, 1 tbsp of the salt and 2 tbsp of the water. Repeat layers 3 times. Sprinkle with remaining water. Let stand until leaves are softened, at least 1 hour, turning over every 20 minutes.
Drain and immerse in cold water; repeat once. Drain in colander for 15 minutes. Return to bowl.
Vegetables: Add cucumbers, onion and carrot to cabbage; sprinkle with red pepper powder, sugar and salt. Set aside.
Spice Mixture: In food processor, process together long red hot peppers, Thai chili pepper, garlic and ginger until smooth, about 20 seconds; add to vegetable mixture.
With wooden spoon or wearing rubber gloves, mix well. Stir in vinegar, fish sauce and shrimp.
Halve green onions lengthwise; diagonally cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces. Sprinkle over cabbage mixture along with sesame seeds; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or for up to 5 days.
Nutritional facts Per 1/4 cup: about
- Sodium 623 mg
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 17.0
- Total fat trace
- Potassium 117 mg
- Cholesterol 1 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 3 g
- Iron 2.0
- Folate 12.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 4.0
- Vitamin C 22.0