Italian cooking is all about family and this chicken dish does not disappoint! This recipe has been passed down in my family for generations and usually is a centerpiece at Christmas and Easter dinners (among the pasta dishes of course)! Many of the ingredients my family uses in this recipe are homemade, like the basil pesto, the roasted red peppers, and the wine; even the mushrooms are usually hand picked in the fall where we live in Northern Ontario! But since most grocery stores now stock these classic Italian ingredients, it was easy to adapt this recipe so that any Canadian can enjoy it. Serve this main with a side of rice, pasta, or creamy, cheesy polenta, a nice salad and some crusty bread, and you have a meal that your family and friends will go "wild" over!
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : amandafata
- 4 chicken breasts bone-in, skin-on
- 8 chicken thighs bone-in, skin-on
- 2 lbs fresh Canadian grown mushrooms (shiitake, chanterelle, oyster, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup roasted red pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
Method1. Using a sharp knife, cut the chicken breasts in half and set aside with the chicken thighs.
2. Clean mushrooms with a dry cloth and chop to similar small sizes if necessary. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat, then add mushrooms and salt. Saute mushrooms gently until they are wilted and "dry", about 20-25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a roasting pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
4. Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
5. Add garlic and basil pesto and saute 1 minute. 6. Brown chicken in batches, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove and set aside. Leaving the skin of the chicken adds great flavour and keeps the meat moist. If you are looking to trim some calories from this dish, remove the skin from the chicken before browning.
7. Add diced tomatoes, roasted red peppers, wine, and mushrooms to the roasting pan. Stir to mix and season with salt and pepper. 8. Add browned chicken pieces and bake, covered, for 1/2 hour at 350 degrees.
9. Bake uncovered for an additional 1/2 hour and 350 degrees.
10. Serve over cooked rice, pasta or polenta.