- Portion size 16 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2011
- 1 cup peeled split mung beans rinsed
- 4 oz ground pork
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon each toasted sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon each sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 1/4 cup packed kimchi drained
- 1 green onion cut in 2-inch pieces and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 hot green Korean pepper seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Vinegar Soy Sauce:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Korean hot pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
MethodIn large bowl of cold water, soak mung beans until tender enough to break one in half with fingernail, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the liquid.
Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine pork, garlic, sesame seeds, sesame oil, ginger and half each of the salt and pepper; set aside.
In saucepan of boiling salted water, blanch mung bean sprouts for 10 seconds; drain and pat dry. Add to pork mixture.
Scrape mung beans into food processor; add reserved liquid. Pulse until pureed but still granular; add to pork mixture.
Squeeze any liquid from kimchi; thinly slice and add to pork mixture. Add green onion, hot green pepper, red pepper and remaining salt and pepper; stir just until combined.
In large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp of the oil at a time over medium heat. Using 1/4 cup per pancake, drop in pork mixture, spreading slightly if necessary, to form lumpy 3-inch (8 cm) circle. Cook, turning once, until set, crisp and browned, 5 to 6 minutes.
Vinegar Soy Sauce: Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together green onion, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, sugar and hot pepper flakes. Serve with hot or room temperature pancakes.
Nutritional facts Per pancake: about
- Sodium 296 mg
- Protein 5 g
- Calories 112.0
- Total fat 6 g
- Potassium 168 mg
- Cholesterol 5 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 10 g
- Iron 7.0
- Folate 34.0
- Calcium 2.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 10.0