Korean coarse red pepper powder provides not only flavour but also vibrant colour. If you substitute hot pepper flakes for the Korean powder, add 1-1/4 tsp more sea salt and 2-1/2 tsp more vinegar.
- Portion size 2 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2011
- 4 Korean cucumbers (12 oz/340 g total)
- 4 mini cucumbers (12 oz/340 g total)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Korean coarse red pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Korean fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup diagonally thinly sliced green onion
MethodDiagonally cut cucumbers into 1/4-inch (5 mm) thick slices.
In bowl, combine cucumbers, sugar, red pepper powder, vinegar, salt, garlic, sesame seeds and ginger; mix well. Stir in green onions.
Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 4 days.
Nutritional facts Per 1/4 cup: about
- Sodium 288 mg
- Protein 1 g
- Calories 17.0
- Total fat trace
- Potassium 93 mg
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat trace
- Total carbohydrate 4 g
- Iron 2.0
- Folate 4.0
- Calcium 1.0
- Vitamin A 3.0
- Vitamin C 5.0