- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: April 2010
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 1/3 cup short grain rice (such as arborio, Vialone Nano or carnaroli)
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 8 oz raw medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 8 oz raw small bay scallops muscle removed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
MethodIn saucepan, bring 4-1/2 cups (1.125 L) water to boil; reduce heat to low and keep warm.
In large deep skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and celery until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add rice, stirring to coat and toast grains, 2 minutes. Stir in wine until absorbed.
Add 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the water, stirring to prevent rice from sticking and scraping up bottom and side, until liquid is absorbed, 3 minutes.
Add two-thirds of the remaining water, 1/2 cup (125 mL) at a time and stirring after each addition until most of the liquid is absorbed before adding more, about 15 minutes total.
Stir in shrimp, scallops, lemon rind and 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the remaining water; cook, stirring, until shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Continue adding remaining water, tasting before adding last 1/2 cup (125 mL); rice should be loose, creamy but not mushy, and still slightly firm in centre of grain.
Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice, butter, salt and pepper. Let stand for 2 minutes before serving.
Nutritional facts Per each of 6 servings: about
- Sodium 718 mg
- Protein 15 g
- Calories 293.0
- Total fat 7 g
- Potassium 270 mg
- Cholesterol 61 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 39 g
- Iron 10.0
- Folate 5.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 4.0
- Vitamin C 10.0