Topping Vietnamese-inspired tacos with a fresh carrot salad adds the perfect amount of crunch. Serve with lemon wedges, and ice-cold beer for the adults and fresh lemonade for the kids. To finely grate lemongrass, use a rasp.
- Portion size 4 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: May 2013
- 2 tablespoons grated lemongrass
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thigh
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup halved slices cucumber
- 1 cup julienned carrots (about 2)
- 8 soft flour tortillas (6 inches/15 cm)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts
MethodIn large bowl, whisk together lemongrass, brown sugar, fish sauce, half of the vegetable oil, the sesame oil and garlic. Add chicken and toss.
In nonstick skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook chicken, turning once, until juices run clear when chicken is pierced, 6 to 8 minutes. Cut into slices.
Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk vinegar with sugar; add cucumber and carrots. Toss to coat.
Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide chicken among tortillas; top with carrot salad, cilantro and peanuts.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Fibre 3 g
- Sodium 945 mg
- Sugars 10 g
- Protein 29 g
- Calories 467.0
- Total fat 20 g
- Potassium 616 mg
- Cholesterol 94 mg
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Total carbohydrate 44 g
- Iron 25.0
- Folate 41.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin A 40.0
- Vitamin C 10.0