This is a quick and substantial side dish.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: August 2007
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 cup halved cherry tomato
- 1/2 cup diced red onion or sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 cups crumbled feta cheese
MethodIn small dry skillet, toast almonds over medium heat, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Bring large pot of salted water to boil. Add lentils and garlic; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain again. Discard garlic.
In large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Add lentils, cucumber, tomatoes, onion and parsley; toss to coat. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
Stir in almonds and all but 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the feta; sprinkle with remaining feta.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 532 mg
- Protein 14 g
- Calories 305.0
- Total fat 18 g
- Cholesterol 17 mg
- Saturated fat 5 g
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Iron 29.0
- Folate 89.0
- Calcium 14.0
- Vitamin A 6.0
- Vitamin C 13.0