- Portion size 8 servings
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 chicken cut into pieces (or about 3 lb chicken pieces)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 shallot chopped (or 1 onion, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons minced gingerroot
- 3 lemongrass trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cardamom pod crushed
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 whole star anise
- 2 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon packed palm sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tomato
- 3 Asian eggplant (or 1 regular eggplant), about 1-1/4 lb total
- 8 oz long beans
- 8 oz green bean
Sprinkle 1 tsp of the salt and turmeric over chicken; set aside. In food processor, purée together garlic, shallots, ginger and 2 tbsp water to make smooth paste; set aside.
Pressing on side of knife, lightly crush lemongrass. Cut into 2-inch long pieces; set aside.
In large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Lightly brown chicken, in batches; set aside. Drain off fat. Reduce heat to medium; cook reserved lemongrass, cardamom, cloves, star anise, cinnamon and mustard seeds, shaking pan, until mustard seeds start to pop, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic mixture, curry paste and sugar; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Stir in stock and coconut milk; bring to simmer. Add chicken and any accumulated juices and remaining salt; reduce heat, cover and simmer until juices run clear when thighs are pierced, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, peel and cut each tomato into 8 wedges; remove seeds. Cut eggplants into 2-inch long chunks. Cut long beans into 2-inch long pieces. Add tomatoes, eggplants and beans to pan; bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover and simmer until eggplants are tender, about 7 minutes.