2003 Canada Day Challenge Runner Up
- Portion size 4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce
- 4 kaiser rolls
- 4 Italian buns
- 4 sweet green peppers
- 4 red onions
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
Marinade: In bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano and hot pepper flakes. Add chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or for up to 8 hours.
Discarding marinade, sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Place on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and grill until no longer pink inside, about 6 minutes per side. Top each with mozzarella slice; cover and cook until just melted, about 1 minute.
Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat pasta sauce. Halve rolls. Sandwich chicken, green pepper, onion and sauce in rolls.