Bake Fest 2009
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Bake Fest 2009
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon amber rum
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 1 cup Tre Stelle mascarpone cheese
- cocoa powder
- 5 Naturegg�?� Omega 3 Eggs separated
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
Method1. Meringue Nests: Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whip the egg whites until frothy in a non-reactive bowl. Add espresso powder and cream of tartar. Beating constantly, very gradually add sugar, one spoonful at a time, until egg whites hold stiff, glossy peaks when beaters are lifted.
2. Spoon the meringue mixture into 12 equal mounds onto parchment paper. Using back of spoon, hollow each mound in centre to make “nests.” Bake in 200°F (100°C) oven for 21⁄2 hours or until crisp and dry to the touch. (Meringues can be prepared to this point and reserved in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.)
3. Filling: Whisk reserved egg yolks, sugar and rum in large, heatproof bowl. Place bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Cook, beating constantly with an electric mixer, for 3 minutes or until pale yellow and thick enough to form ribbons when beaters are lifted.
4. Remove bowl from heat; beat for 2 minutes longer or until bottom of bowl is body temperature. Beat in Mascarpone, one spoonful at a time, until very smooth. Cover tightly and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Spoon equal amount of filling into each nest. Sift cocoa powder over top just before serving.