- Portion size 4 servings
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion grated
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped mushroom
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 can white kidney bean drained and rinsed
- 1 egg yolk lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 oz old Cheddar cheese sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 whole wheat pita breads
In nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onion, mushrooms and Italian seasoning; stirring, for about 8 minutes or until mixture is just starting to brown and liquid is evaporated. Let cool slightly.
In bowl, mash kidney beans with fork. Add mushroom mixture, egg yolk, bread crumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape into four 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick patties. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.)
Place patties on greased grill over medium-high heat; close lid and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Sandwich along with lettuce in pitas.