Serve over steamed rice alongside broccoli sautéed with garlic and a pinch of hot pepper flakes.
- Portion size 2 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: October 2010
- 2 lbs fresh mussels
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Chinese black bean sauce
- 1 gingerroot sliced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper seeded and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 green onions cut in 2-inch (5 cm) lengths
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
MethodScrub mussels and remove any beards. Discard any that do not close when tapped.
In Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine mussels, water, black bean sauce, ginger, jalapeño pepper, garlic and onions; stir to coat.
Cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels open, about 10 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Remove from heat. Toss with coriander.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 376 mg
- Protein 17 g
- Calories 168.0
- Total fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 37 mg
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Total carbohydrate 16 g
- Iron 35.0
- Folate 27.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 7.0
- Vitamin C 23.0