Blood oranges (moro oranges) add a colourful touch to a refreshing salad after the main course. You can prepare all but the avocado a few hours ahead and chill separately until ready to assemble.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: January 2004
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red onion
- 3 Moro oranges
- 3 navel oranges
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 boston lettuce separated
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
In bowl, cover onion in cold water; let stand for 30 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain well and pat dry; set aside.
Cut off peel and outer membrane of oranges. Working over bowl to catch juice, cut out segments between membranes; set aside in separate bowl. Squeeze any juice from membranes into bowl. Whisk in oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce.
Arrange lettuce in shallow serving bowl or divide among plates. Top with avocado slices, orange segments and onion. Drizzle with dressing; sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Nutritional facts <b>er each of 8 servings:</b> about
- Sodium 77 mg
- Protein 2 g
- Calories 143.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 11 g
- Iron 4.0
- Folate 24.0
- Calcium 3.0
- Vitamin A 5.0
- Vitamin C 60.0