Slow cooking brings out the aromatic flavours of cinnamon and cloves. If olives are a favourite, you might want to sprinkle on a few more.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2006
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs beef cross rib boneless
- 3 lbs blade pot roast boneless
- 3 onions
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup beef stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons capers rinsed
- 2 tablespoons quartered green olives
In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown roast all over. Transfer to slow cooker.
Leaving root end intact, peel and quarter onions; add to slow cooker along with garlic. Whisk together orange rind and juice, sherry, thyme, salt, pepper, cinnamon and cloves; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours or until meat is tender.
With slotted spoon, remove onions to warm platter; cover and keep warm. Transfer meat to cutting board; tent with foil and let stand for 10 minutes before thickly slicing. Arrange over onions.
Sauce: Meanwhile, skim fat from liquid in slow cooker. Whisk flour with 1/4 cup (50 mL) water; whisk into slow cooker. Add capers and olives; cover and cook on high, stirring once, for 15 minutes or until thickened. Pour about 1/2 cup (125 mL) over beef. Serve with remaining sauce.
Nutritional facts <b>Per each of 8 servings:</b> about
- Sodium 377 mg
- Protein 38 g
- Calories 416.0
- Total fat 24 g
- Cholesterol 96 mg
- Saturated fat 9 g
- Total carbohydrate 10 g
- Iron 26.0
- Folate 14.0
- Calcium 4.0
- Vitamin C 20.0