Try this hearty salad studded with salami, olives, tiny tomatoes, roasted pepper and fresh basil, from the "Going All Out" block party menu in the June issue of Canadian Living.
- Portion size 12 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: June 2004
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (25 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 oz (90 g) thinly sliced salami
- 3/4 cups (175 mL) Kalamata olives , pitted
- 2 cups (500 mL) grape or cherry tomatoes
- 6 cups (1.5 L) penne pasta (1 1/2 lb/750 g)
- 3/4 cups chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh basil or parsley
In large bowl, whisk together Parmesan cheese, oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and pepper; set aside.
Cut salami into thin strips. Chop olives. Cut grape tomatoes in half or cherry tomatoes into quarters.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until tender but firm, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup (125 mL) pasta water. Rinse under cold water; drain well and add to dressing along with reserved pasta water.
Add salami, olives, tomatoes and red pepper; toss to combine. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.) Add basil; toss again.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 692 mg
- Protein 10 g
- Calories 317.0
- Total fat 11 g
- Cholesterol 6 mg
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Total carbohydrate 46 g
- Iron 14.0
- Folate 38.0
- Calcium 5.0
- Vitamin A 6.0
- Vitamin C 32.0