- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Jodi Borneman
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- dash salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 cups canned red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
MethodSpray a large non stick saucepan with cooking oil, add the vegetable oil and place over medium heat.
Saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic for 5 minutes. Stir in the stock, tomatoes, sugar, dried basil, oregano, salt, pepper and 2 cups of the beans. Mash the remaining 1 cup beans and stir into the mixture.
Bring to a boil, crushing the tomatoes with the back of a spoon. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes, stirring occassionally.
Stir in the pasta. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until the pasta is tender but firm.
Ladle into individual bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and basil.