To gild the lily, serve these tropical cr?s with small scoops of rum-and-raisin ice cream or mango sorbet.
- Portion size 8 servings
- Credits : Canadian Living Magazine: February 2007
- 3/4 cups sweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Best Basic Crepes Recipe (make 16 coconut crepes)
Pineapple Rum Topping:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups diced, cored, peeled pineapples
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice or orange juice
- 1/4 cup amber rum or pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
MethodOn baking sheet, toast coconut in 300°F (150°C) toaster oven or oven, stirring once, until light golden, 5 minutes.
Pineapple Rum Topping: Meanwhile, in large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat; cook diced pineapple, brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon, stirring often, until edges of pineapple are browned, about 6 minutes. Stir in pineapple juice.
In small bowl, mix rum with cornstarch; pour into pan and cook, stirring often, until topping is boiling and thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove topping from heat and keep warm. (Make-ahead: Let cool. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 24 hours; reheat.)
In large bowl, whip cream; fold in all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) of the coconut. Set coconut cream aside.
Spoon 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the pineapple topping onto half of each cr?. Fold in half; fold in half again. Spoon coconut cream over top. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
Nutritional facts Per serving: about
- Sodium 201 mg
- Protein 8 g
- Calories 454.0
- Total fat 26 g
- Cholesterol 158 mg
- Saturated fat 16 g
- Total carbohydrate 46 g
- Iron 14.0
- Folate 30.0
- Calcium 11.0
- Vitamin A 25.0
- Vitamin C 47.0