This dish is a favourite week-night meal because it's nutritious and easy to prepare -it's like a pizza without the crust! It's fast to make on the spot or you can put it together the night before and cook it the next day. It rewarms fabulously for leftovers or latecomers.
- Portion size 6 servings
- Credits : Jennifer Zuk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion diced
- 6 oz fresh button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeded and finely chopped
- 3 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 can black bean drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 green pepper seeded and diced
- 3/4 cups sliced black olives
- 4 oz pepperoni sticks, sliced thin
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese grated
MethodIn a large frying pan, over medium heat, cook the onion in the vegetable oil for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and chopped jalapenos and cook 1 minute; then add the diced Roma tomatoes and cook 2 more minutes. Set aside.
In a large bowl, add the black beans, cottage cheese, green pepper, olives and pepperoni. Add the cooked rice. Sprinkle with the salt and oregano. Add the reserved mixture of vegetables and the Mozzarella cheese. Mix gently to combine. Put in a lightly greased 9 inch by 13 inch casserole. Microwave 10 minutes or heat in a pre-heated 375 degree Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes to melt the cheese and heat through.